Myles Draper’s vision for the new secondary school in Fremantle is innovative and highly aspirational.
Taking up the position of foundation principal, Mr Draper is looking forward to working with his school’s staff and community to begin a new era of secondary education in the greater Fremantle area.
“My vision is to deliver high quality education and care to all students and to support them to achieve their future goals,” Mr Draper said.
“With a healthy and productive mindset, students can achieve almost anything. I want to lead and inspire a dedicated team to give every student the best opportunity to flourish and succeed in life.
“It is important that we provide students with the opportunity to be creative and innovative, and to support them to become adaptable and resilient individuals who are prepared for their future careers.”
Mr Draper said the college would offer a full suite of programs leading to university, further training and employment for students, as well as a Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective Program for students with exceptional academic abilities.
“The college will retain the state-of-the-art maritime Trade Training Centre and continue an established commitment to sustainability,” he said.
Opening as an Independent Public School in 2018, Fremantle College will cater for Years 7 to 12.
A substantial upgrade to the existing South Fremantle Senior High School totalling $30million will see new and refurbished facilities for students.
New buildings include:
- Fourteen general learning areas;
- Autism classroom;
- Inclusive education classroom;
- Four general science laboratories and two chemistry laboratories;
- Science preparation and technician area;
- Medical centre;
- Performing arts theatre;
- Green room and kitchenette;
- Staff studies and stores; and
- Student, staff and universal access toilets.
- Administration block;
- Design and technology facilities;
- Commercial food studio - redevelopment of art room;
- Drawing and painting studio - redevelopment of science lab;
- Printmaking studio - redevelopment of science lab;
- Sculpture and ceramics studio - redevelopment of science lab; and
- Media, TV/Film Studio - old science lab and medical centre.